Subrata Roy, the visionary founder of the Sahara Group and architect of a sprawling business empire, succumbed to a cardiorespiratory arrest on Tuesday at the age of 75, following an extended illness. Roy had been admitted to the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital & Medical Research Institute in Mumbai on Sunday as his health deteriorated, and he passed away at 10:30 pm on Tuesday, November 14.
The Sahara Group released a statement announcing Roy’s demise, attributing it to complications arising from metastatic malignancy, hypertension, and diabetes. Describing him as an “inspirational leader and visionary,” the company expressed profound sadness, stating, “It is with deep sorrow that Sahara India Pariwar informs the passing of our Hon’ble ‘Saharasri’ Subrata Roy Sahara, Managing Worker and Chairman, Sahara India Pariwar.”
Here are seven key aspects to know about Subrata Roy and his significant contributions:
- Architect of Sahara Group: Subrata Roy was the driving force behind the Sahara Group, a conglomerate with diversified business interests spanning real estate, finance, infrastructure, media, and hospitality. Under his leadership, the group expanded globally, becoming a prominent player in various industries.
- Extended Battle with Illness: The announcement of Subrata Roy’s death followed a prolonged period of illness. His health issues included complications from metastatic malignancy, a condition characterized by the spread of cancer cells to other parts of the body, along with hypertension and diabetes.
- Hospitalization in Mumbai: As his health deteriorated, Subrata Roy was admitted to the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital & Medical Research Institute in Mumbai. The nature and severity of his ailments prompted medical intervention and care in the final stages of his life.
- Cardiorespiratory Arrest: The immediate cause of Subrata Roy’s demise was identified as a cardiorespiratory arrest. This critical event occurs when the heart ceases to pump blood effectively, leading to respiratory failure. Despite medical efforts, Roy could not be revived.
- Tributes to an Inspirational Leader: The Sahara Group’s statement eulogized Subrata Roy as an “inspirational leader and visionary.” His contributions to the growth and diversification of the conglomerate were acknowledged, highlighting his impact on the business landscape.
- Chairman of Sahara India Pariwar: Subrata Roy held the position of Chairman within the Sahara India Pariwar, a major entity within the Sahara Group. As the Managing Worker, he played a pivotal role in steering the group’s strategic decisions and operations.
- Live Updates on Subrata Roy’s Death: The news of Subrata Roy’s passing prompted live updates to keep the public informed about the developments surrounding the demise of the Sahara Group founder. These updates provided real-time information on the circumstances and reactions to his death.
In conclusion, Subrata Roy’s death marks the end of an era for the Sahara Group, leaving a void in the business world. His legacy as a visionary leader and the impact of the Sahara Group on various industries will be remembered as the conglomerate navigates the future without its founder at the helm.